We met each other on a job, fell in love and now live in Los Angeles, California.
Having to frequent South Africa often for work, we always dedicate time to visit new vineyards, alongside revisiting our favourites; travelling home with cases full of wine!!
With the enormous variety of anything you could desire in Los Angeles, we have found a severe lack of South African wines on the shelves, which really dissapointed us.
When we do find a bottle tucked away somewhere, no-one can tell us information about that wine, the farm it came, they style...pretty much...nothing.
So we decided to do something about it...
Not only do we want the wines to be accessible but we want the consumer to know the story behind the wine they are buying: the rich history from which it has grown, where the farm is located and the people behind making it.
We have a vision of South African wines being in every collector’s cellar, boutique bar and high-end restaurant.
Each farm has a dedicated page on our website where people can learn about the farm and order their desired wines.
(He is a sommelier in training.
1) Stellies comes from the colloquial term or nickname for Stellenbosch.
2) Stellenbosch is the most well-known wine-producing area that tourists know about (even though there are many more wine regions in South Africa to explore).
3) South African's living in California will relate to the nickname.
5) Our personal connection. Stellenbosch was our first getaway destination as a couple. From there we explored the other wine regions such as Franschhoek, Paarl, Constantia and more.
6) On our journey to educate the consumer about all the wine regions of South Africa, we thought we would use the nickname, of an area, people may already know.